30 May 2007

"Daytag" is a Rip-Off

Don't even try to defend them. If you're working for them and want to say something nice about the company, I'll understand in the same way I'll understand an RJ Reynolds CEO telling me that cigarette smoke doesn't REALLY kill people. People kill people. Just admit that "Daytag" stinks, and we can still be friends.

Actually, we have a dishwasher we're pretty happy with from them. It's making a lot of noise when it washes the dishes but it seems to be working reasonably well for being about six years old. We're pretty ok with the dryer as well.

We *used* to be happy with all of our appliances from Daytag. We (idiots!) decided we'd like to use the local place for everything. Maybe we'd pay a little more, but we'd have the satisfaction of knowing we're buying products locally and blah American blah blah service and stand behind your product blah. I even bought the overpriced warranty to go with my appliances!

Hey, a word about the overpriced warranties. They are NOT overpriced if you wind up with a lemon like we got for a clothes washer. The washer was about four months old when it overflowed out the BOTTOM of the machine, ruining every internal piece of the appliance. The Daytag people had to keep sending out the repair man and reconditioning the whole stupid washer on more than one occasion. Basically, each time our engine flooded out, it was a whole new machine on the inside. The only thing that was "old" was the mouldy shell! Thanks Daytag!

Not to mention the inconvenience of having a musty overflowed basement. Soggy nasty clothes. Using a LAUNDROMAT full of cigarette smokers with my asthmatic child while we wait weeks for parts to arrive and an appointment on their calendar. Every time this would happen, it was sure to be a busy week, or snowing. There were some interesting people at the laundromat but that is a whole 'nother post... The whole idea of the Daytag repairman having nothing to do is a total myth, folks. His calendar is booked solid.

After about the second ENTIRE rebuild of our machine, I suggested that on the third that maybe we should just do something different. You know, give me the cost of a washer b/c your service guy's time plus parts is way more than I paid for the whole thing EVERY time you come out. Or do you have a discount for me to maybe trade up or something? Some other idea maybe? It would save YOU guys money, and I'll be happy and tell my friends and continue to be a loyal customer. Nope. Loyalty doesn't count for crap.

Eventually, even our warranty policy ran out of money and we got a whole whopping $70 "buyoff" and had to keep a bad washer. We've cost the Daytag people maybe $1000 in parts and labour and I'm unhappy. I'm going to be sure to tell all my friends that Daytag smells so that they don't get into this predicament themselves.

Why can't corporations be reasonable? This machine was obviously a lemon, and they would rather repair it constantly --at a loss to them -- until my warranty runs out of money, than to just replace the thing right off the bat when I had problems so soon after purchase.

One of these days I will be looking for a new washer and dryer set. Has anyone made a reasonably recent purchase that they're happy with? But not such a recent purchase that it hasn't had a chance to totally fall apart yet. Comments welcome!

5 comments:

  1. OK D just popped up the stairs and told me not to identify the company for fear of some horrible lawsuit or something. They might take our negative net worth away!! Ok seriously.

    Mrs. C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure .... I have a "daytag," and it appears to work just fine as long as I don't use it.

    It had given me many years of non-service. If only all my appliances given me so much!

    -- Daytag (not affiliated with Daytag appliances

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about all your appliance trouble (especially about having to use the laundromat-I hated when I had to go there!)

    We bought a washer dryer set about a year ago, we got a Whirlpool Duet Sport and have been completely happen with them. Of course, they might not have had a chance to fall apart yet! It's not the cheapest (also not the most expensive), but it's energy-efficient so we're hoping that will kind of balance things out. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought Kenmore frontloading washer and and dryer about 2 1/2 years ago and have been quite happy with them. We have to buy the "h.e." detergent, but we have to use a lot less, too. So, we are happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I had recalled this post before we bought our washer dryer 😥

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...