13 June 2007

You're Forcing Me to be Rude!

I just feel like everywhere you go, you'll either be taken advantage of or you will be FORCED to be RUDE. Here's what I mean:

The telephone

Ok, we all know it is NOT rude to hang up on a recording. Is it rude to hang up on a wrong number? Is it rude to be snotty to the people who KNOW they have a wrong number but persist in calling anyway?

When we first moved here about ten years ago, we received a new (to us) number from the phone company. I don't think the phone was in service for a full 24 hours before we began receiving collection calls for the STOCKWELLS. Whenever I would receive these calls for the STOCKWELLS, I used to patiently explain that we had moved here from out of state and THIS is the number the phone company gave us. We have no clue even who these STOCKWELLS even are.

Of course, the debt collectors are used to being lied to continually, so they didn't believe me. I would get maybe 10 calls a day or so. And those were only the ones I answered. I began telling these people NOT to call here anymore; this is not the STOCKWELLS' number and if you don't believe me, you can call the phone company and verify it for yourself. Well, one fellow very snidely asked who **I** was and I had just had it. I told him it was none of his flippin' business and hung up on him.

Eventually I got tired of fielding these calls and the phone company was of no help. Oh, they told me I could sign up for a $7 per month service that would ID those calls. Nice of them. They give me a problem number and then they want ME to pay to straighten it out. I think not. We just changed numbers (free!) and I'm sure that some poor soul began receiving calls for the STOCKWELLS not long after.

Telemarketers

Technically, I should file this under "telephone," but these people get a heading all to themselves. I'm on the Missouri Do Not Call List. Do you know what that means? That means I would appreciate not hearing from you if you are a telemarketer. I have my name and number on the list for a reason, and that reason is so that people I don't personally know aren't calling and bugging me all the time.

Yes, I know if you're a charity or vaguely know my second cousin, or whatever, you are legally "safe" under the loopholes of the law. But do you know what? Just because it's LEGAL to pester somebody doesn't make it the right thing to do. If I have my name on the list, do you REALLY think I'm going to welcome the "opportunity" you're presenting today? The free offer? The timeshare in Sunny North Carolina? Do you?

I'm not very brave though. I just tell the person I'm not interested. I'm not brave like one fellow I know who says things like, "WOW! Credit card? I had NO IDEA I could charge stuff so soon after bankruptcy! I'm so excited I'm gonna buy a big screen tv..." I think he enjoys playing with these peoples' minds LOL! And he's a lead pastor too! Surprised? I'm not. These people kinda deserve it.

The Doctor's Office

Ever been to the doctors' office and checked in, right in front of everyone? You have to give them your name. Then they ask in a very loud voice, "And do you still live at 898 Secret Address Street?"

Ugh. I just know someone in that waiting room is a burglar or identity thief on the side, and NOW little Miss here has just basically told them that the house is unguarded for at least an hour and a half. THEN she'll ask, "And is your phone number 867-5309? And do you still have coverage under Insurance Name?"

Thanks! It's even worse when they ask you about your Social Security Number in front of all the illegal immigrants in the Emergency room wait area.

I have taken, in order to protect myself, to interrupting these people whenever possible. Or just telling them *right* when I walk in that I'm Mrs. C, everything you have is current and PLEASE don't announce anything in my records. I will write down anything you need to know.

Of course, the Children's Hospital we sometimes go to to have G a little help with his autism will not take the hint. Even if you write things down they will say, "Is SECRET STREET spelled S-E-C-R-E-T? And that's in YOURTOWN?" Thanks, lady. Now this is a place in the inner city with some bad-looking people. When I go home I want to go to a house that is empty of people and full of stuff and NOT the other way around. So I admit I'm a bit huffy about stuff like that. I know that every physician's office secretary positively hates me, but I take my privacy and personal information seriously. We left a family practice we had used for over seven years because they began printing the SOCIAL SECURITY number in huge numbers at the top of each bill. And there is always a long line to pay bills, after which they leave your sheet face-up on the table. Bye, guys.

Other Places it is Necessary to be Rude

Think of a few and post a comment! Many blessings to you today!

Mrs. C.

7 comments:

  1. You are so right!! We have had the same issues, esp. with our phone number. And you bring up a very good point with privacy issues at doctor offices. These days you just can't be too careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right along with you here!!
    My sister had her identity stolen (they got her credit cards and hit the internet and shopped) thankfully she was insured and was able to recover the loss.(but what a headache and she is very nervous now, I don't blame her) This is not a large city, so it can really happen to anyone.(not to make anyone even more nervous or blunt with all our privacy) but yes we do have to be blunt and keep it our own information and not announce it to the world.(especially the waiting rooms)
    Thank you so much for this post and I know and feel your frustration with all these people.
    (psst...ask them there address and s.s. number and see if they like it announced out loud) maybe they may understand....probably not...
    Blessings Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about at the WIC office. Every time I go they ask if I am on Medi-Cal. (I still have not figured out what that has to do with anything!) I say no. They say, "You aren't?" Like they can't believe it. Then they ask, "Well do you have other health insurance?" I say, "No." They look incredulous! Then they get nosy, "How do you pay for health care?" As if it is any of their business!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie, welcome!

    Lori, that is awful about your sister! Exactly what I do not want happening to me or D.

    Daja, I'm surprised that at every visit they don't ask about BIRTH CONTROL as well. You know those state people really want to know whether each of your children are "planned" and they want to help you make "better plans" in the future LOL. My intereaction with people at the health offices, etc. is that they are very haughty and know how to run your life better than you ever could... and how many servings of vegetables did your child eat yesterday?

    OK done with rant...

    Mrs. C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then they want me to attend a breastfeeding class every so often. Drives me crazy! I have FIVE children. I've breastfed them all, most of them until they were two years old! I can handle it! Please do not sit me in front a nurse who probably has never done it and have her explain to me how to breastfeed. And then offer me formula before I leave!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oo Oo! I have a bunch! How about the six people I have to pass on a daily basis to get from the train station to my office who offer me free newspapers? Or the four homeless people I pass to get to the office all asking me for money? How about the guy this morning from the radio station who had parked outside the breakfast place I go to that asked me if I wanted to be on the radio as I was walking in? How about the petition people? No, I don't want to sign your petition. Or how about evangelicals? No, I don't want to have a personal conversation with you about my faith or lack thereof. Do I know you?????!! Then don't talk to me! I've gotten quite bitter about this living in a major metropolitan city where you are surrounded by people constantly. I'll get off my soapbox now.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...