18 September 2007

Extra Toe? Mild Disease? Let's Kill the Kid!

Hey, you know all this prenatal testing for mild deformities is really helping people out. It is a benefit for us so that we can "prevent" these problems from occurring in our children. I didn't really understand what they meant until recently.

Do you know what they mean?

You can "prevent" a problem from happening to your child by killing it before it emerges from the womb. Problem solved! Ta-Da! Just wait a month to recover and then try again for that perfect baby. Aren't you glad for modern science?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20841358

Actually, I *am* glad for modern science, but only to a point. And this news story is sure past that point...

I've heard of other parents of children with autism who are maybe more purist than I am, who say that they would NEVER change their child with an operation or drug if one were found to practically "cure" the autism. I would beg to differ for my family, anyway.

What if there were a medicine that would make him well if taken on a regular basis, rather like insulin for a diabetic? What if there were a surgery that would minimize the effects of autism to a great degree? Would you do that for your child? Well, if it's your child I suppose you get to decide, but I would do whatever I could to help my child overcome his disability, even if that meant a change in my child's personality or outlook. Think of his being able to hold down a job, to understand what people mean in general conversation... to have a chance at living a "normal" life...

Now, killing is not a cure. See the difference? I can't believe I'm even trying to explain this. What a crazy world we live in!!

3 comments:

  1. Or worse... How about, "Kill a bunch of embryos in the hopes that *I* may be cured because *I* am more important."

    At least it seems that way watching the news...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more......sick sick world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. C. Hi there!
    to quote you "Or worse... How about, "Kill a bunch of embryos in the hopes that *I* may be cured because *I* am more important."
    this news report is almost a year old... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6171083.stm

    well written blog and just up my alley ;)

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...