06 April 2008

By Faith Alone... Well, Unless You're a Parent.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23885944/

If you're a parent believing in the power of prayer to heal, you can forget it.

May I ask, why does the state need to intervene in the lives of people in the free exercise of their religion? Isn't that a CONSTITUTIONALLY guaranteed right? Nowhere in that document do I see the right to exercise religion "unless someone from the state thinks you've gone too far or your faith is silly."

Someone will tell me that this isn't right, that the child could have lived and the state had an interest in protecting the life of an American citizen. True. But that interest does NOT trump the rights of the parent to my mind. Otherwise, where would it end?

What if a child gets measles and dies? The parents had a religious objection to the shot, and now they're in jail for murder. I think that could happen.

What about a child's right to an education? Your religion forbids the education we want the child to have. You must send him to public school where you have NO say over the curriculum.

I *personally* believe these parents in the story were a bit foolish. God sure can heal. I think if I were in deepest Africa I'd have just prayed and hung on, too. But here in America I'd have used the hospital. I'd hate to feel compelled to go for every little thing just to cover my rear end legally, though. It would actually make me less likely to drag my kid to the ER if I thought that nosy state people were watching every last thing about my child.

1 comment:

  1. There also was the story of the young girl who had diabetest and died for the same reason.She would have made it if her parents took her for medical treatment.It was also something that with treatment could have had the child go on and live her life.There does need to be consiquences for these actions.I am a believer in god and I also pray and speak to my god.But god gave me the privelegde of being a mom and it is up to me to protect my children:) Thanks for the topic very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...