24 June 2007

G's Complaint Card

I'm tired of the complaints. The other day I forced G to do some dusting even though he wasn't in "trouble" and therefore deserving the chore. Patrick has a sinus infection and is allergic to dust. And I can't do *everything* myself. So I asked G because he is about my height and can reach the ceiling. Boy was he mad. Finally I told him that I honestly, truly, really am *not* listening to the screaming. If you have something to tell me write it down on this comment card and I will really hear what you have to say then. I think it worked. Can you see that he is upset about not using the computer too? Once it was written down it was much easier to work out with him. At least this time. I'm sort of thinking of a home management binder thing, and if I ever get round to it these slips of paper will be in the front pocket for older children. Mom just doesn't like the screaming, and she also doesn't like punishing kids for getting out of hand when we can just redirect all that. If I get caught up in yelling back when I've been screamed at, and then being yelled back at and then punishing them worse and worse for disrespect... eventually I forget what I needed done. Then the dusting wouldn't be finished anyway and we'd ALL be upset. OK. I'll tell you all if it works consistently though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...