09 August 2007

Friday's Homeschooling Post

Friday, August 10---CurriculumWhat curriculum do you use? Where do you buy it? Have you found a "gem" that you must share with others? Was something in particular a complete failure for you and your kids?

I think I've mentioned before, I really *love* Bob Jones Bible curriculum. About everything you need to teach that year is inside their kit. I had to order a couple paperback reading books for some extra activities, but these are good quality books and certainly tied in well with the subject matter.

The teachers' manual is very helpful and goes with the KJV Bible and the workbook very well. There are timelines that really help the students put things into perspective. As we study a character in the Bible (no, we don't study them ALL.. I think they concentrate on different ones each year) we'll add him or her to the timeline. We can tell, for example, that "today," we can't get to know Isaiah or go for a walk with Jonah. We can tell that Isaiah and Moses could NOT have been friends. I tend to do all kinds of exercises on the timeline that are not included like that.

I was so mightily impressed with the Bible curriculum that I ordered their Social Studies. Now, I *like* their Social Studies second grade book. It has a lot of colours and it is fun to read. I learned something new in almost every unit. BUT their notebook exercises are a little wimpy and not of the same high-quality depth that supplements the lesson in their Bible stuff. The teachers' manual doesn't really help teach the lesson to the same degree the Bible curriculum was helpful. These are all questions one could *naturally* think of while reading the book. For example, the crops of farmer Brown might show a chart of wheat, corn and tobacco. Look at the bar graph and tell me what farmer Brown grew in the greatest quantity on his farm. I didn't need to spend $50 on that!!

Do I really need an expensive teachers' manual like that? I'm stretching this Social Studies curriculum out... I don't know why... and adding books from the library on colonial times, or community helpers, or whatever that is on their reading level and "goes" with the lesson we are learning. At this rate, the curriculum will last two years instead of one and I'm hoping something cheaper or easier... or even free... comes up in the interim. I suppose I ought to look into devising my own third grade curriculum myself with library materials. The younger years are not *too* heavy on the dates, and I get the idea that small children are not quite expected to understand the continuity of history as we do, or the idea that while "this" was happening in Asia, "that" was happening in Africa or Europe. That may be too much.

7 comments:

  1. I have a really neat geography lesson book with a book I have. I can't really explain it right now. I am hoping to get through the first book as I don't have the other books for it. But if you want it, you can have it when I'm done reading the first book. The geography book is by Beautiful Feet. The book I have that goes with it is called Paddle to the Sea by Holling C. Holling. If you want it I bet Elf would love it. It is quite boyish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that my site won't accept your link! I don't know anything about computers, so I don't have any good advice for you. :(

    I have never tried Bob Jones curriculum before, but you make the bible stuff sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting Randi. Now I know that my comment really made it LOL!!

    Yep, I love that curriculum for BIBLE study anyway. I wonder what they are like in the older grades. But even the younger grades are pretty challenging and I am learning the verses with the children!

    Aunt B, I'd hate to take anything you're going to need later, but maybe in a fair while when I'm done with the Bob Jones we can loan materials to each other! I do like the book and would want it back, but boy the money I spent versus the value I got I wouldn't do it again,you know?

    Hey, did you ever get those books from A??? Been thinking of that and almost afraid to ask.

    Mrs. C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope I still haven't gotten the books from A. Today is my last day to wait then I'm going to just give up. She said that she sent them two weeks ago. I've gotten books and stuff from other people in a quicker time so it just doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ((Aunt B)) I do wonder what's going on. Rather I'm making assumptions that she never sent it, which is probably unfair of me. I'm just sorry it happened. If you had paid her I would recommend talking to Heidi... on the board there is a disclaimer that you'd better deal right with people or you can't post your products anymore...

    Mrs. C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the problem with it was that she was just giving them to me. I didn't buy them. I may email Heidi and talk with her about it again. I'll give it until tomorrow. Did you get 4th grade? Just wondering what grades I should be expecting. I was thinking 2nd, and 4th. But I don't know.

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...