15 September 2007

I'm Not Shedding Any Tears For These Salesmen...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20783441/from/RS.4/

So drinking is legal in Iraq. But devout Muslims feel that they are forbidden to drink, and that this sort of sale is against the cultural norm. Actually I support the Muslims on this... think of the devastation they avoid in an being sure that those who would be alcoholic never really fall into that trap. Think of the lives and money saved.

I've never seen anyone tell me about how alcohol has been a positive influence in their lives, or how without alcoholic beverages, they could NEVER have come this far in life... you know. Honestly I think that if it were not for heavy taxes such things would probably not be legal here in the US in 50 more years, and not so much for the "morality" of the issue but the health and safety aspect of these habits.

Yes, Jesus drank wine. He even turned water into wine. But bet you that if He were hanging out on an Indian Reservation, he wouldn't be passing out the Jim Beam to everyone. He'd see the devastation this drinking causes those people. I don't know that He would expressly forbid drinking, but I do think that He wouldn't be smiling about the thought of someone opening a liquor store right outside the reservation when the leadership inside is trying to curtail drinking. He'd have a little respect for the reasons those rules are in place.

I think we should, too. It really bothers me when I see news stories like this one about the poor alcohol salesmen being scared, or others about the poor abortionist doctors worrying about a lone gunman out to get them. These people are NOT martyrs minding their own business and being targeted as a result. They are adults who have consciously chosen a career path that they know is risky to their own lives and immoral to the outside world. I have much more sympathy for people like the black woman who was literally held hostage recently for days by a white group, and endured horrible torture. For no good reason!

I wonder why this web story even made it onto NBC. Are there not Iraqi children who are targeted in their homes that we could talk about, before we worry about how someone has to be scared if they make a certain career choice? Can we talk about Iran for a little bit? That leader there scares me. He doesn't look like he could command a decent table at a Denny's, but he has nuclear weapons? OK, another story for another day.

God bless you guys.

2 comments:

  1. Whether or not it is a moral view to drink or not to drink which Jesus himself drank ... the problem is that these Muslim extremists are breaking the law with their thug mentality and brutalizing people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was kind of leaving the moral question of drinking aside for the moment, though I do tend to favour temperance personally. My point was more that there are several groups of people whose safety or lack thereof is more newsworthy than people who CHOOSE to sell alcohol, knowing that it may be dangerous to do so ...

    I'd like to know (and the story doesn't tell us) where the idea that selling alcohol being LEGAL in that country came from. Is it a law that "the people" of Iraq voted on or is it more of a rule that the aristocracy imposed? What do "the people" there really want?

    And are we sure that the extremists are the ones causing the trouble? I say this because once something is a majority opinion, it may still be a WRONG opinion, but it can hardly be called "extremist" any longer.

    Mrs. C.

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...