22 October 2007

Oh, Thank You, EPA, Mmmmwwwah! *kiss*

Thank goodness that we have such a wonderful government looking out for the interests of its citizens. We can rest easy now that we know for sure that Agent Orange is harmless, mercury fillings are okie-dokie, that melamine in your chicken is just a tasty additive, and thimerosol in your baby's shots couldn't POSSIBLY cause a problem. And now, from the same government that brought you that up-to-date and extremely scientific bunch of findings (drumroll, please):

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/10/22/body.burden/index.html

Ta-da! Little kids have amazing amounts of industrial chemicals in their bodies, when you look at it on a per-pound basis. But do you know what? Just because you have a few hundred chemicals you can't pronounce floating around in your child's body, doesn't mean that ANY harm is being done. Nope. You heard it first here, folks:

"My concern about this trend about measuring chemicals in the blood is it's leading people to believe that the mere ability to detect chemicals is the same as proving a hazard, that if you have this chemical, you are at risk of a disease, and that is false," she said. Whelan contends that trace levels of industrial chemicals in our bodies do not necessarily pose health risks.

Um, okay.

Did you like that quote? I mean, *just* because you have this stuff in your system *doesn't* mean you have a problem. And do you know what? If the children develop problems, whose fault is it? There are tons of chemicals floating around in their bloodstreams, and proving blame for a neurological defect or *whatever* would be tricky at best even if the government DID give a toxic rat's butt about our children and their future. But, oh, I forgot... it ISN'T the chemicals. Nope. Couldn't be.

Now, someone's going to go ahead and comment about the extensive research on thimerosol shots and how it *couldn't* be a factor in autism, right? And I might agree that there is no proven link at present. And I might agree there are no proven links between these chemicals and, say, my children's autism. But I'm *%#$ suspicious that the findings will always be just what the big businesses want them to be, whatever the truth is. And as a person with a brain inside my skull, I get a bit distrustful that the "truth" will be known in my generation.

Does anybody care what we're doing to our earth? Or the people that live on it? I mean, besides the people that will call me a murderer if I have a fur coat... I'm talking about NORMAL people. Is there anyone out there?

2 comments:

  1. I wonder all the time if my son's vaccination has anything to do with his Autism. I definitely wonder. Dr. Hovind doesn't believe in vaccinating kids. I've read into it with him but I've still gotten them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For us that's been a really hard call as well. Patrick had every vaccine imaginable and he turned out fine. I can't say that it's just the vaccine, but I *can* say I now object to putting thimerosol in my child's body just on principle, now that I know more...

    We've researched it a bit and are allowing thimerosol-free vaccines for J. We're skipping the polio vaccine at this point b/c I feel the risk of polio vs. the risk of the shot makes it not worth it *right now*. (An outbreak would change my mind, but I would actually prefer the more RISKY OPV because it protects better when you're actually swimming in the polio germs or whatever. It's still used overseas but not available here.)

    We're skipping rubella. What's the point of a rubella shot on a boy??? People are all upset that the Merck company recommends Gardasil for boys, but it's an old idea and really shouldn't be that controversial if Rubella isn't. BUT, we can't find measles and mumps vaccines without rubella AND thimerosol.

    But like I said, get a good outbreak going and my little idea might just fly out the window.

    Virginia, it's easy for me to say (LOL), but do TRY not to feel guilty for what you might have done to cause the autism. I'm convinced it's a combo of genes AND environment... and until we know more we can be cautious but we really do still need to live in the world.

    I am trying not to flip out because baby J is starting to flap his arms and shake when he's excited just like my other kids with autism. Honestly, I'm heartbroken just thinking about it. But the kid has really not been exposed to anything major THAT I KNOW OF, and we've been careful with what we're feeding him.

    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...