20 November 2007

These Are The People in Your Neighbourhood...

Sex offenders find it difficult to obtain housing and often list addresses as, "woods behind Wal-Mart" or the local homeless shelter as their dwelling place. There are concerns that the lack of a solid address will lead homeless sex offenders to re-offend because no one is really able to track them.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-11-18-homeless-offenders_N.htm

Hm.

So... it's better to have a sex offender live right next to a preschool, so that we know where he is, rather than "on the street" only God-knows-where and doing God-knows-what. I see both sides of the argument. But I would be more concerned about the TYPE of sex offender and where they live. Some 19-year-old who had sex with someone who was 16, thinking she was 18, is surely stupid. But I don't really fear for my childrens' safety around him. I wouldn't care if he were working as a bus driver or cashier at Wal-Mart. Someone aged 47 convicted for 3 counts of sodomy and molestation on a three-year-old deserves to be burned at the stake and nevermind the parole.

I do appreciate the web-pictures of local offenders, but as D has told me, they mostly have cars so don't feel *too* safe. I would rather have them tracked than not. I guess the real question in my mind is why medical science hasn't found a way to help these people to NEVER re-offend. You would think there would be some medication or method that would at least help most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...