15 December 2007

Autism, Thievery and Kidnapping.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Science/2007/12/14/ads_anger_parents_of_autistic_children/4343

Autism is likened to a kidnapper who steals children so that they can never speak or be social in a series of ads that are supposed to call attention to the plight of those suffering from mental illness.

Oh, great. I really *love* how medically, autism is linked with mental illness in the first place. That makes me feel *great* as a parent, to have two kids diagnosed with a "mental illness." It's like telling poor old mom that she sure screwed up big-time and made her kid crazy. Twice. Thanks, guys.

I see that autistic children act like people with mental illness, and that the mental illness seems to the medical establishment to be a "co-morbid" condition. I will bet you, however, that someday they figure out that it's just a quirk within that autistic child that LOOKS LIKE mental illness, and maybe can be treated similarly to mental illness medication-wise because of the similar symptoms. But autistic does not equal crazy. It's autism. Can't it have its own category or be listed under "neurological conditions" or something? Otherwise you make insurance coverage a nightmare for poor Mom and Dad who are already dealing with quite enough.

And thanks, medical people, for associating "poor mental health in the parents" with having autistic children. Yeah, YOU just deal with some autistic kiddos day in and out for a few years, and wonder what their future is like, and wonder what on earth to do about this or that every day and see if YOU don't crack like an eggshell, too. And while you're at it, don't get all high and mighty talking about how lots of parents of autistic kids wind up getting a divorce. You have NO idea what dealing with this sort of thing can do to a marriage. Know what? Bet if you bothered to look at what autism REALLY does to families, you'll find these parents have very few IRL friends as well. Wow. And I'll congratulate you for having such a KEEN grasp of the obvious for noticing. How much do you get paid for these stupid studies??

About the ads: Imagine someone calling attention to some other child's medical condition like that. Let's pretend your kid has horrible, disfiguring acne. The ad goes like this: Dear parent, We have your son. We are making sure that he will never get a date for the prom. We are making sure he looks really ugly. He doesn't have many friends, either.

Did that just call attention to your problem? Didn't you just feel the love and compassion there?? I'm sure there are plenty of people who would watch an ad like that and make life WORSE, not better, for that child.

If you *really* want to do some good for families with autism, you'll make sure that you contact all your representatives and urge equity in health insurance coverage for problem areas autistic people face: speech therapies, ABA therapies, occupational therapies, etc.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there. I saw your comments on the Noble Womanhood site and thought I'd stop by.

    As the older sister of a 19 year old Autistic girl, I can relate with what you say here and what you said over there regarding the church and support.

    Sadly, it seems to be a common thread that families with autistic children have little support- be it family, friend, church or otherwise. Over the years, I've seen church friends, other friends,and even family back off and refuse to help. Even worse though is when everyone wants to insert their opinion on why this child behaves inappropriately or acts out.I'm sure you've heard ' you just need to tell him/her to snap out of it-or- you just need to discipline him better'..etc.

    Its impossible to understand unless you live it..but to me, that's not right. The church especially..I've witnessed so many be so judgemental. To get my sister the education, training and treatment that she has needed- there was no option, public school was the only place. Please do not let anyone make you feel badly about doing what is best for your child. It took years of petitioning, education, training and just plain begging to get my sister in the right program.

    And as for feeling guilty..my mom has felt guilty since day one of realizing there was something wrong wtih my sister. she has nothing to feel badly about, and neither do you. Autism is a disease, a disorder, an illness. not a result of anything you did, currrently do..and you cant prevent it.

    I believe homeschool is a viable option for many people, as is private, and public. The judgement, especially by other so-called 'believers'..shouldnt exist. Sorry for the novel, and I realize you dont know me from the next person..but I just wanted to say I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Kassandra!! I do appreciate very much that other people "get it." I just wish oftentimes that I did not have to "get it" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a beautiful, brave autistic daughter who is 18 yo. I have members of my extended family who are mentally ill. My daughter is NOT mentally ill. She is delayed in her language and ability to relate to people. Autism has not kidnapped her. She is very much with us in her own way, and anyone who reads my blog knows that Pamela adds many bright spots to our lives. We have learned to face the challenges with love, compassion, humor, and persistence. But, we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

    Thanks for pointing out that ridiculous link.

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...