23 November 2009

Big Problem?

It doesn't sound like too much TV is the big problem some folks want to make it out to be in daycare centers.

Sure, Mom, you would PREFER the kid get personal, one-on-one attention from her caregiver, or at least be her favourite. You would PREFER that the caregiver make macaroni projects and play play-doh and mini trampoline all day with your child, except for that precisely scheduled nap between 12:40 and 2 p.m. Then it's time for a small cup of half-juice, half-water. We're concerned about sugars, you know.

Wake up.

Now. Pretend you're a low-income mom. You're spending $15 or so a day on daycare each day, maybe a bit more. You do NOT have the $290 weekly special super deluxe preschool fees (um, that's for the HALF-day program, ma'am?), so you'll send your kid to May's up the street. You deal with what you have. You know May leaves the TV on a bit too much. But she's cheap, reliable and she keeps your kid no problem. You have to work. That's the end of it. You do the best you can.

Do you notice that the article doesn't say that a big, big concern is child molestation? I'm sure it happens, and I'm not minimizing that. I've read articles about kids getting tied up in some of these places, too. THAT would be a huge, horrendous deal for me. But does two hours of TV per day qualify as something that should give American parents a "wake-up call" as the article suggests?

I'm thinking no.

I'm thinking, that's not the ideal situation, and I wouldn't be happy about that aspect of things, but then again, some of these parents are just doing the best they can to get by. Are the children clothed, fed and given appropriate opportunities for naps? Do the caregivers put the guns in a locked cabinet? Are the hunting knives out of reach?

Is America a great country or what that we can freak out and worry about TV time and not whether our children are eating? Praise God, wouldya?

4 comments:

  1. um, my kids are learning how to read from watching Super Why on PBS so I can't complain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far too many people worry about how much TV kids watch.. and not the important things for sure. TV will not kill or maime your child.
    With you on this one chick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a child of the 80's an grew up on TV, books, and movies. I think I turned out okay. My kids watch TV, read books and watch movies with me. I think they are pretty well rounded kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish how much TV my kids watch was one of my biggest concerns. I've got too many other problems to worry about. Like my kids' health and the over-due medical bills.

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...