01 December 2009

Having "The Talk."

"Mom, I need to ask you something." Emperor is trotting after me as I clean the living room. "'Member how you said that scientists like to put everything into groups? And give them names?"

Mm-hmm. "Well, how do the scientists figure out which are the boy and girl hurricanes? And how do the hurricanes make new hurricanes?"

Awww, you're so cute, Emperor. Hurricanes aren't alive.

"They AREN'T?? But how do they give them names if they're not alive? And how do they get new ones then?" Sideways look. Mom must be holding out some important information.

Hmm... Well, here are some books on the subject. And if you have any questions, we can wikipedia about it or ask someone who knows more about it than I do. Or maybe you need to do your own research.

Be looking on Elf and Emperor's blogs in the next few days for a post about hurricanes. :]

6 comments:

  1. I don't think it is a very juicy subject, unfortunately! I think - I'm not positive - that the hurricane-namers alternate male and female names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. But you wasted a perfect opportunity to tell your kids a really tall tale. :) At least that's what would happen around here (and we wonder why our kids have such wild imaginations). Wikipedia is great, but not nearly as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is where I say, "Ask your Daddy. He knows about this kind of stuff." Whether or not their daddy does know is another story. But, it gives them someone else to pester with their questions! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee, he does ask INTERESTING questions doesn't he? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to handle that Mrs.C. My kiddos are learning how to find the answers to their questions by looking them up. I have to help because they are still learning to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to reading their posts...

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...