16 September 2011

Homeschool Resource Meme!

I've been tagged - thanks, Tammy! Ready? Here goes:

1. One homeschooling book you have enjoyed: Since I can name only one (did a REAL homeschooler make up this meme? who picks just one??), I guess I'll go with Augustus Caesar's World. I haven't even assigned it to Emperor yet; he's still working through the Story of the World to get an overview of ancient history. Then we'll be concentrating on Ancient Rome as that's what Emperor wants to study this year. And he especially wants to learn about Augustus Caesar. He will love Augustus Caesar's World, too. :)

2. One resource you wouldn't be without: a computer. If we didn't have a computer, I would have to do ALL THE MATH TEACHING MYSELF. And that is a crime. I can do the math, and I go over corrections with Emperor, but I keep going off on odd tangents and trying to explain why the people in the word problems have such odd lives. We just can't have that because I find myself getting all into their lifestyles and being judge-y about it. These people just plain old need to keep better records instead of making ME figure it all out for them. Lazy.

See? I'm getting all judge-y already!

3. One resource you wish you had never bought: some second grade teachers' books. Unless it's a subject in which you know absolutely nothing, you do not need these. I can't say they're a total waste of money, just not needed at $50 each. Mind you, maybe they were worth every penny. You know how it is when you first start this homeschooling thing and you want to be sure you are doing everything "right" and have everything you "need." Someone made a lot of money on my insecurity.

4. One resource you enjoyed last year: Dover colouring books! These are not baby colouring books, but finely detailed outlines of art with stories, Samurais or mythological creatures.

5. One resource you will be using this year: Story of the World (Ancient Times) and Story of the World (Middle Ages). Not sure if we will finish the Middle Ages book this year because of the other studies of Ancient Rome we'll do, but it's a nice set and it will be done eventually.

6. One resource you would like to buy: Actually? Right now I don't want to buy anything. I would feel more pressured to get stuff done, just having it in the house. Sorry.

7. One resource you wish existed: books that were not too *soft* because Emperor goes nuts if the books don't have just the right texture! All books of the "wrong" texture should be banned! And napkins! Can we talk about napkins for a minute! They BURN his skin, he tells me, and send horrid crinkles up his spine. He'll do anything but bring you a napkin. Anything.

8. One homeschool catalog you enjoy reading: Rainbow Resource. This catalog has literally everything you could ever want in it and things you never knew you NEEDED. I spent a good three weeks with mine this year.

9. One homeschool website you use regularly : ChessKid! Challenge A-Gust-of-Wind to a game sometime, willya?? He also hangs out on youtube and found a very exciting video he'd like to share with you. I'll post that in a minute.

10. Tag six other homeschoolers: Oh argg, I just can't do it. I can think of a dozen whose answers to these questions I would LOVE to read, but I just can't tag people because I keep forgetting who-all gets upset about tags, who loves them, and who I tagged last and I want to be fair to everyone... would way rather EVERYONE reading who even remotely wants to do this meme just say, "Hey, come over and read my stuff!" and I will hop over and say hi back!

7 comments:

  1. Ok, ok, ok. Here is the very exciting chess video Emperor was screaming and running about the house about earlier this afternoon:

    http://youtu.be/mrWC-H3R8zQ

    He says everyone MUST watch it, it's worth EVERY second you spend watching it, and something *very unexpected* happens and it is the most amazing game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't read all of this post; I got focussed on the Dover Colouring books. Where do you get them from? Any specific store? Like Toys'R'Us? Somewhere else?
    I've been looking for detailed colouring books for years, as has my daughter K. Please let me know how I can get some. My email is on my "about" page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never ask a homeschooler to choose one of anything...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, Tammy...

    River, I'm emailing you but copying link here:

    http://store.doverpublications.com/index.html

    Sometimes people sell these at homeschool conventions and the like but not sure about where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I played along and posted at my 'house'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. did it
    http://nfahm.blogspot.com/2011/09/homeschool-resource-meme.html

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...