14 May 2007

My Bathroom Blog

OK, I really do have other things to talk about besides my bathroom. But I'm going to talk about my bathroom anyway.

Yesterday I heard some dripping BEHIND THE WALL in the downstairs bathroom. This is a very bad thing. I just envisioned horrible water seepage and mould everywhere. All the walls and the flooring having to be pulled out and re-laid. The water being shut off to the entire house for a full month. The only other useable bathroom in the house is directly above this bathroom.

I had all kinds of dollar signs dancing in my head last night instead of sugar plums. I was not happy to get up at 5 with the crying baby and dread those hours (tick, tick, tick) until 8 a.m. when our plumber would answer the phone. But it didn't turn out as horrible as I had imagined. And he didn't dress like Super Mario as the Emperor had hoped.

Our plumber couldn't hear the dripping I heard, no matter which order we flushed toilets and ran sinks throughout the house. Now, I KNEW I wasn't crazy (yet!) so I let him cut a little hole in the wall to peer in with a flashlight. Sure enough, there was a little leakage but not so bad as to rip out walls or grow mould. Thank God!! It looks like I caught it really early.

The plumber installed a new toilet and wax ring. I don't like this new toilet as well as the old one. It has very little water at the bottom and doesn't growl at you when it flushes like the big old toilets. It bubbles! I'm very grateful that things weren't "bad" like I thought they would be. I spent just under $300 for the whole ordeal. I'll have to leave the hole in the drywall for a week or so, so that everything can air out. Otherwise, I should say it could have been a LOT worse.

I'd take a photo of the new toilet except for the fact that it looks very similar to the old one (white), AND, the plumber installed our yucky old seat on the new toilet. I'm thinking of buying a new seat just because. Oh, the other reason there's no photo here? I think we have enough potty photos. I'm not obsessed or anything.

1 comment:

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...