25 June 2007

Homeschool Update

The Elf has completed the first of two second grade math books in Horizons. He is almost done with all his PACE English and Spelling books, and will probably finish by mid-August. We're in LIFEPAC 4 of 10 in science, and in the sixth unit of ten in Bible studies. We're in the fourth unit of 12 in Social Studies, but I have been not "pushing" that as much because we are doing supplemental reading on colonial times. Social Studies is, I think, one of those subjects that is not confined to a year-based course of study. That is, you do not need to know EVERYTHING about Colonial times in America to move on to World War II the following year, if that is the order the publisher puts things in. So that might last us a year and a half anyway.

The school year does not officially "start" until July 1. I want Elf to start third grade in February after the baby comes. (OK, maybe he'll start in March, who knows?) I am *tempted* to buy another second grade English curriculum for the Elf, thinking he can get all THAT done by February as well. But then I think... reading. Writing a sentence. He needs a lot of practice in these areas, especially in writing. He can read very well but does not always understand what he has read. And a new curriculum is $80 or $45 depending on the publisher. I don't know. LIFEPAC would be tempting. Those get *much* harder in the upper grades too, and maybe better to start him out on a challenging curriculum.

I like having all these choices, though. I am so hoping that the Emperor can stay home next year as well. Maybe if everyone stays home we do an easy-read book report each week.

The Emperor can add two-digit numbers with carrying and he can count coins most of the time. He is starting on the concept of even or odd and how to read a thermometer. *I* have trouble reading a thermometer, really, if it is not digital. But I can tell about what temperature things are within three degrees. That does not work on the old mercury glass thermometers though, where you need an accurate temperature! Thank God for those little digital beepers!

Blessings to everyone! Those of you homeschooling be sure to drop off a comment and tell me how things are going for you, too!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like the boys are doing very well. I may have something in 2nd grade language I can send you. I'm going to send you my frugal book too. I'll check the box of books in the garage tomorrow and see what I have that I can send you.

    Have a great and Blessed night.

    Aunt B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt B!! If you can, stick an address label on your inside cover so I am sure to send them back when I am done. Bless you!

    Mrs. C.

    PS Are you all lined up for next year yet?

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...