13 August 2007

Can't Hurt to Ask, Eh???

D has been concerned that Elf is not getting the same sorts of things taught at home as he would in public school. Now, I *cannot* be a public school teacher... I don't have the training or the patience. But now, I can use the public school curriculum in addition to our Horizons math any time I want to. I had asked the school if it were possible for them to tell me where I could find a workbook, or if I could buy a workbook from them. I got a way better deal! They're "upgrading" to a new version of the same stuff. So they sold their curriculum to a used book dealer, and saved me TWO BOXES of stuff... all the way through grade 5!! Now, some of the pages are written in and I *imagine* these are the ones they couldn't sell due to condition. But... who cares when the price is free. The only thing is, it comes with teachers manuals which are probably very expensive. But for the life of me they don't make sense!! I may have to sit next to a dictionary sometime and try to decipher the teach-ese. (And I was an English major in college, too...)

3 comments:

  1. OMG that is so awesome Mrs. C. I hope D sees this as a blessing in disguise. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worried about getting the same stuff as public school? Perhaps you can rent some hip hop videos so he doesn't miss the scantily clad girls in school. And then maybe you could buy him a box of condoms. Then carelessly leave some cigarettes or empty liquor bottles around for him to experiment. Then ask some ill-behaved children to come over for some peer pressure. Then learn history from made-for-TV movies, tell him the Bible isn't really the Word of God, tell him about Joe having two mommies, and how important global warming is.

    There! Now you're just about up to speed with government schools.

    (Sorry for the sarcasm so early in the morning!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think D figures he's ok skipping all that except that valuable "socialization"...

    He thinks if the public school kids learn fractions in second grade, Elf needs to know fractions!! And etc., skipping some of the controversial issues you just brushed on.

    The only problem with that is different curriculums work a bit differently. Elf is almost done with Horizons Grade 2 math and knows Roman numerals, which they cover *briefly* in 4th grade public and never test on. But he does not know how to draw a line segment.

    So I will page through and find some line segment stuff and whatever else he "missed" when we're done with the Horizons.

    Aunt B, I *am* hoping that having this curriculum will help make my case for continuing homeschooling Elf. Then at least on MATH, I can say he's more or less doing the same stuff. Of course social studies and English, etc. are completely different though I will try to have Elf write a full paragraph with few errors by the end of the year.

    He really struggles in English.

    Mrs. C.

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...