Daja at http://www.gombojav.blogspot.com/ has tagged me with about a million Christmas questions! Wow, I hope I know the answers to them!!
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Usually I'll use the old paper that comes in my CBD orders. It's rather like a long paper bag-material. I use that and some tape. I also recycle gift bags AND I have a bit of wrapping paper too.
2. Real or fake tree? We have a fake tree, about two feet high, that we bought at a thrift store YEARS ago for three dollars. It fell apart and D made a stand for it out of wood. I just can't see buying something new that we would only use two weeks a year, you know.
3. When do you put up the tree? Oh, boy, I stink. Usually right before Thanksgiving. But I haven't gotten to it yet this year.
4. When do you take the tree down? I like to do it the second all the presents are unwrapped. But usually D will make me wait until Jan. 1st.
5. Do you like eggnog? I'm not sure. I remember having some as a child and liking it, but then buying the stuff in the cartons at the store and thinking it was rank. Haven't tried it since.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I had a Little Professor calculator that would quiz me in math. That was a lot of fun.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. We set it up except for our historically accurate blonde Baby Jesus. He appears, all pasty white and cheruby, on Christmas morning. Um, I haven't gotten that out either.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My husband D. Daja and I are twins in this respect. This year D is receiving four boxes of pickles from the Van Holten Pickle Company. Little Pepes. I like doing presents for each other with consultation. We got a set of pots and pans for our anniversary one year and it was AWESOME to pick it out in the store together.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Baby J. Actually, I'm tempted to just give him an empty pop bottle this year for Christmas. I need to go get a picture of that sometime... he has an empty Diet Pepsi container that he enjoys more than the entire roomful of toys he has downstairs. He likes to pop people on the head with it and laugh at that hollow sound.
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I'm allergic to wool and would get beautiful, specially monogrammed sweaters (probably very expensive) from my Nana. My dad and I endured this for YEARS until someone dropped her a clue that we found these presents very, very itchy. Actually, I think I'd have LOVED the sweaters she bought if they weren't so scratchy.
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Well, I need to mail some... I need to buy some first... and some stamps... seriously I don't know if I'm getting 'round to doing Christmas properly this year or not.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? It would have to be that Christmas Story one with the leg lamp. You know.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually really early. I haven't gotten anything yet! I hope we get around to it before Christmas. This made-in-China thing has really thrown me for a loop. Far better for baby J to continue nibbling on his rattle made in 1973 before the lead paint thing ever happened. Only problem is, this rattle is deadly! He has seriously hit himself and others very hard with it and maybe they're dangerous that way and don't make 'em anymore. But they are VERY easy for babies to hold.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I don't think so, but I'm guilty of buying stuff cheaply after Christmas (like candles and stuff) for presents the following year. Or putting it in a "name brand" bag and cutting off only part of the tag so it looks like I cared enough to spend my food money on it. But if my own kids wear thrift store clothes, do you think I like YOU that much?? Just saying.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Sugar cookies. We literally take those old ice cream BUCKETS, fill 'em with cookies, and go driving at night to look at lights. The kids wonder why they have big tummyaches later, but the family bonding is worth it! Wonder what we'll do next year when everyone doesn't fit in the van??
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear. Don't really care too much though on this issue.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Joy to the World. Except I used to be crazy when I was little and sing it at times OTHER than Christmas, annoying all of my relatives.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I'm due in a little over two months. 'Nuff said.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes. It is taking up valuable space in my head. Don't ask me to recite any Bible verses, though.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Toilet paper tube angel. If it makes it through another year... it looked pretty sad last year, but it's just so cute...
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? One Christmas Eve, the rest in the morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Santa fights. For example, when G was in kindergarten, he made sure to tell all the children that there was NO SUCH THING as Santa Claus, and his teacher went and lied and said there was, too, and that *I* should somehow correct this situation. Um, I don't care if other parents lie to their kids but don't expect me to tote YOUR line on this one. Too stinkin' bad. G made sure to tell the other kids their moms and dads were lying to them when they said things like, but my mom said... Oh, well. Guess they shouldn't have lied, then. The teacher wanted me to feel guilty because some of the little girls were crying. Um... who set this situation up for a showdown? My kid was just telling the truth. Although it *did* kinda sadden me when he got older that he and some other boys told the little kids that Santa exploded and his guts flew everywhere. But only because it wasn't true.
23. What I love most about Christmas? Family time.