16 April 2020

Homeschooling 2019-2020


 What a weird month!  Well, I've gotten caught up on a tiny home project or two and upended everything in the process.  I have stacks and piles and tools strewn about and no intention of cleaning it all up because I want to get other things done and why put the tools away?  Not yet.  Maybe I'll blog later on that one. 

So I'm taking a break and uploading a few pictures.   This one is of our exciting science experiments - finding whether things are acid or base using litmus paper.  Can you tell that some young people are no longer enamoured of having their photos taken?  Oh well.  It's a package I bought a few years ago at a homeschool convention and have finally opened!  I'm finding all sorts of useful and fun things in my homeschooling boxes and piles, and I might as well use everything up.  The children will (barring pandemic and such... ya know) go to school full-time next year.

Here's their guess as to where everything will fall on the litmus scale.  I went to go look up the curriculum provider so I could give you a link and sure enough, they're out of business.  It's a shame because they had quite a number of everything included science kits and little games or things like element playing cards.

And here's our history curriculum!  We're continuing with the Story of the World series.  This one is the last in the series, covering the Victorian Era through the end of the USSR.  As you can see, the reading level is pretty much as you would expect in a sixth or seventh grade textbook.  It can get quite detailed.  I lived through some of the stuff in the latter bit of the book and I don't remember many of the events!

The textbook can be purchased with a very thick activity workbook with maps, questions, and rather involved activities.  This year, we haven't done many activities.  But if you wanted, this book could double as an art and home economics curriculum because there are projects at the end of each of the 42 chapters. 
At this point, I'm not even caring about spelling as much as I have in the past.  I'm getting lax. Only a few more weeks in the school year here anyway!

2 comments:

  1. At least they are still doing some school work, being already used to it. Some here are homeschooling while the virus is about and they are doing lessons online, but mostly basic stuff and some kids probably aren't learning as much as they would in a classroom, so there will be a lot of catching up to do once schools are open full time again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a *free* app you can listen to which includes links to everything it references for more info and teaches young people how to learn without school. It was made with adolescents in mind, but the concept apply to all ages. Most importantly, it was written just before Covid and it all still applies. Covid cannot stop an empowered self-directed learning from continuing their education. Don’t believe me? Go to LEAVE-SCHOOL.com And listen for yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...