17 May 2007

Allergies and Asthma

My son Patrick has some pretty severe allergies. We had him tested a couple years ago and he is HORRIBLY allergic to dust mites, and somewhat allergic to almost anything else you could think of. What is really strange is that we had never thought to get him tested before our Elf was tested for allergies because of his asthma. I just didn't know allergy testing existed, or what it entailed. I had no clue that allergies and asthma were related. I think we're figuring it all out now and the drug companies at least are very grateful.

Our allergist has been most helpful in keeping the Elf out of the hospital. Sure, he's on about seven different things and seems *FINE* to any doctor examining him. We had one physician doubt that he even has asthma. But despite all you hear in the news about physicians receiving kickbacks and big money for keeping people on brand-name drugs, let me tell you: these (expensive) drugs really do work in keeping things relatively stable for the Elf. I really don't like him being on so many things though. I have learned the hard way in the past that he needs to take these things. I tend to think that because there's no problem he shouldn't be fed all these drugs!! I like to do things more naturally, you know... Feed the kid an extra Flintstones multivitamin from the jar at least...

Elf has the sort of asthma that is "no problem" until he gets sick. It flares up a little with exercise and upset as well, but nothing worrisome. He is doing a LOT better when he gets ill now. We just up the frequency of a couple different medicines and go on with life. It helps that he is homeschooling as well. When he was in public school he missed about a ton of school days because I was not ready to send him in to a class with 27 kids, one teacher and no aide when he had even a slight cold. I mean, even the *best* and most-qualified person is going to be busy teaching, or dealing with this and that and perhaps not seeing an attack or a problem. Plus they would stick the kid in PE unless he had a SPECIFIC note from the doctor EACH time he had a flare-up. Common sense does not work on these people.

Now Patrick is off to get his weekly allergy shots. He is doing much better with his dust mite allergies of late. I think the shots are helping but it has been well over a year since we started shots and we are still not down to going every other week yet.

I'm glad at least that he is not allergic to peanut butter! I can not imagine sending a child with a severe peanut allergy ANYWHERE. All it takes is some kid with peanut butter on his hands to touch the same doorknob as your kid and someone could die after lunchtime. Wouldn't you think there would have to be perfumes or shampoos with peanut oil in them as well? I wouldn't know but I would imagine there would have to be. I'm surprised at the number of things that MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUTS, OR PEANUT INGREDIENTS. I would not be surprised at all to receive something from a clothes catalog warning that their clothes are shipped on machines that may have also shipped peanuts, or peanut ingredients. It's no fun dealing with a dust mite allergy but so far as I know no-one has ever died from it. A peanut allergic kid would have to live in a bubble at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...