26 May 2007

Homeschool Planning and Surprises

Hi folks!

I'm going to talk a little bit today about how we started out homeschooling our Elf and how things have evolved from there.

When we started homeschooling, it was very SUDDEN. But he was just mid-way through first grade and didn't know his math facts or how to read fluently, etc. So about anything I chose to teach him would be new stuff! We stayed home and read Dick and Jane. We used a dry erase board and a marker for spelling. (Do I need to buy a curriculum to teach the Elf to spell C-A-T?) We got some worksheets from Sam's Club for mathmatics and English and used index cards to teach basic 2+2 math facts. I learned so much about how the Elf learns in those first couple of months teaching him at home.

I'm really glad I didn't rush out and buy a curriculum RIGHT when we started homeschooling. I would have bought something that did not fit his needs at all. One thing I'm finding... that I don't really see discussed on other homeschooling blogs... is that I purchased a curriculum that fits ME as well. I did not come from a churchgoing family, and I need a lot of help learning how to teach the Bible in some sort of order that would help build precept upon precept. So Bob Jones is PERFECT for me doing that. It outlines all the discussion questions I will need, and the workbooks go so well with the teachers' manual. **I** am actually learning a LOT from this curriculum.

For science, I need something that is going to honour God first. The LIFEPACS are perfect for that. Science is taught not only from observation, but from the Bible as well. I don't see the contradiction, although obviously you cannot "prove" a miracle through empirical evidence. I do think that rational people can still believe in the Bible, although the Bible is very clear that it is the SPIRIT OF GOD that will lead one to the foot of the cross. But I think you really cannot have too much of one without some of the other without being a little unbalanced. Just my opinion.

In mathmatics, we're doing the Horizons curriculum. Elf is about halfway through the first second grade book, and I think we'll continue that this summer. Next year, I will probably start to need the teacher's manual as well so that I know how to present more difficult concepts. But I can do what we have right now without any problems.

Social Studies - we have Bob Jones for this too. I think that the teachers' manual may be a bit overpriced but that may be because I don't NEED it in the same way I need the Bible manual. I'm sure that will change in the upper grades though.

The Bob Jones tests are very overpriced. I'm starting to have my child copy the questions on the tests, because technically you're not supposed to xerox the things. Then (hopefully!) I can use them later on the Emperor and Baby J, and just buy new workbooks. The workbooks are worth it. :]


I'm starting to plan out what to do from year to year now. Looking at the samples online at the CBD website has been a big help to me, and probably saved me from many foolish homeschool purchases.

I also have found that sometimes ladies I post with on a moms board are getting rid of their stuff, and I can snap up a bargain. I got some used books for just the cost of shipping! They were Bob Jones ones, too. From the 70s, and not great condition, but I looked at the online table of contents for the *new* books and they really aren't that much different to justify my spending $60 on the set. And really, you're just READING them so they don't have to be perfect.

I'm just having so much fun and enjoying the process of learning with Elf and Emperor. This summer Patrick will be learning Spanish with me too, and a little bit of Social Studies. I have never really taught a child almost 14 years old, so this will be new for both of us. I haven't even had to really help this one with his homework, and he is able to pull the A's without me for the most part. I'm feeling a little intimidated. I know that it's going to be ok though. I am going to just treasure the time we have together even if I don't get everything "right."

Blessings to you guys!!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about how different people come into homeschooling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting Summer! I popped by your blog too! You have about a million links to everybody LOL!

    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...