11 October 2007

Good For Them!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21222462/

I'll tell ya, the school districts want to pack 'em deep and teach 'em cheap whenever they can get away with it. Then they want mega-money for administrative salaries, new buildings, and pet projects. It's for the children, you know, and you're a real (bad word) if you don't vote in favour of their little proposal. You're doing wrong to "the children" if you siphon too much money out of the system for YOUR kid or if you don't go along with *everything* they say... How could you be so selfish??

I'm so glad this rich family had the mega-bucks to fight the school district and get the appropriate education their son needed. Now, the other millions of parents with special-needs students *might* have it a little easier if they had the money to fight these people in court, too.

I'm tempted to wonder if we shouldn't just scrap public education and let everyone sink or swim. It's kinda what's happening anyway. Worse, you get the illusion of being educated if you graduate from a bad school in the slums. What a rude awakening these young adults get in college after they've been accepted on an affirmative action basis. (Yes, I've seen this happen IRL, so nobody try and play the race card and bash me...)

And no, that's not just me being petty because I homeschool. I have two older children enrolled in public schools. One is autistic, has an IEP, and costs the taxpayer PLENTY, thank you. And *this year,* we have some amazing educators helping him out. But we've been down hard roads before with this district and probably will again, to get him what he needs. I can't say that public education is "good" if I were painting with a broad brush. It can do some good things. It can also be incredibly crappy, and a good part of me wonders why the taxpaying public bothers overall.

Just saying. I know it probably sounds like I'm advocating two different things at once... the abolition of public schools and the spending of "lotsa money" on IEP students. Actually, I'm being more pragmatic. Public education isn't going anywhere, and I see they already have "lotsa money" and they can spend a few dimes on an IEP student before they build a football field or teach sex ed and PE.

Ok, do you know what I *really* wish? I wish there were a cure for autism, or some healing for G and Elf. I don't post a lot about the ins and outs of dealing with this on a regular basis because I'm not sure anyone will "get it," but it's no fun sometimes. For anyone in our family. Guess you had to be there.

Sniff...

Well, if that made any sense to anyone but me I'll be surprised. Bless you guys and thanks for listening LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...