24 November 2007

Elizabeth Edwards on Education

http://momocrats.typepad.com/momocrats/2007/11/elizabeth-edwar.html

Found this little link on the http://whyhomeschool.blogspot.com/ Why Homeschool Blog about Elizabeth Edwards homeschooling her children.

Now, I'd like to say in theory that I support ANYONE who wants to start to homeschool regardless of political affiliation. And I suppose it would be the decent thing to never criticise someone going through cancer treatments. But do you know what? I'm going to do it anyway!!

This lady makes me *sick*. She "homeschools," but is very careful to hire a tutor and give all voters the impression that parents can't possibly do this work on their own. Have to keep that public school teacher-union vote happy, you know, and imply that only the professionals have any right teaching, even of her own children! She's careful to let it be known that she is entirely using the public school curriculum, complete with a special teacher and a special school room. God forbid the children get an original or offbeat idea into their little heads. The state knows what is best to teach the children. Heil Hitler.

They even follow a school schedule for the most part and pack their lunches!

They're careful to make sure their children have time to "socialize" with the public school students. We don't want any public school parent getting the impression that the Edwards family think they are so above public school children. I'm sure, however, that the Edwards family is able to purchase a home located in a very good school district and the rest of us can just rot. Read her tripe answer to the question of whether homeschooling is a "good thing" or not and tell me if you find a clear answer:

"I don't have an easy answer on this...and the way I feel about homeschooling is the way I feel about charter schools in that there are some great charter schools. We have a charter in my original hometown and it's always on the list of the best schools in the country. And then you see charter schools where they are simply not prepared to meet the needs of students. And I think you probably have that same expanse in public schools. You'd probably get the same experience in homeschooling. Some homeschooling experiences being truly spectacular and some that are considerably less so. You have to be impressed when your spelling bee winners or your geography bee winners are increasingly those kids who are home schooled. I've noticed that in the last several years."

"I'd like to think that people who are doing [homeschooling] think 'you know I have a unique ability to create learning experiences for my children'. And I think because of traveling [John and I] do have a unique opportunity with our kids this year. I'd be concerned if I were the one teaching my children math, and I'm highly educated and actually did great on the SAT's but, I'm many years away from that and maybe I could teach myself to do it but, the answer's too complicated because you're talking about too wide a range."

OK, too wide a range. Too complicated a question. You want to homeschool, Mrs. Edwards, but don't want to praise or defend the laws that give you the freedom to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...