24 November 2007

Illegal Immigrant Saves Boy

http://www.kpho.com/news/14678583/detail.html

An illegal immigrant assisted a boy involved in an accident with his mother. The mother later died. I'm glad that he had the human compassion to help, and the story DOES serve as a reminder not to demonize all illegal immigrants. To my mind, "demonizing" is when you paint someone as being all bad or evil for some reason or another. I would like to think that most people who argue that the government should do something about illegal immigration are NOT "anti-Mexican" per se. Maybe they don't want their culture eroded. Maybe they don't want an influx of people without health checks from a place where TB is rampant. Maybe they're just plain old concerned with border safety or American economics. But I don't think most people "demonize" illegal immigrants.

However, I disagree with the notion that they are all not criminal. You know, because it's a crime to come in the country illegally. That makes it a *criminal* activity, and "one who commits crimes" ought to be considered a criminal. (WOW, I went through four whole years of college, so I can make these logical deductions!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...