20 April 2008

I'm Not Old, But...

I don't understand technology. I think the most *advanced* thing I can use in this world is Blogger. If they were to change how to upload pictures, or if we were to purchase a new computer or camera, I'd be totally lost.

I learned how to upload pictures this way: D showed me all the steps to take and I WROTE THEM DOWN. Then, every time I wanted to upload pictures, I took my list out. It had things like "open bottom thingy of camera" and "put memory thing in top slot thing of computer" written down for my future reference. Now that I've loaded pictures up many times, I can do it without referring to my list. I know which things go where.

It seems like "everyone else" knows how to do these things by some strange collective human instinct. Like the Borg, maybe. I, however, am genuinely not sure what the difference between and MP3 player and an Ipod would be. I keep thinking of MPs as people in the army that put you in prison, and pods as things with little peas in them. I know that these are really "expensive gadgets I can't afford, and couldn't figure out how to use even if I could," but those are the images that go through my mind when I hear about MP3s and Ipods.

Looking up the definition of these things does not help me either. Just today, I wanted to find out what a "WiFi" was. And why does it come in a blanket? Where would I see one? I know that HiFi is a grooovy sound system and supposed to be very high-tech (years ago, anyway). Maybe it's the same sort of thing only they upgraded the first letter? Maybe a new first letter with each version that came out... that would make sense. Let's look it up! Well, the wikipedia people decided not to show a picture of the blanket, and their definition was NO HELP to me:

The purpose of Wi-Fi is simple: Hide complexity by enabling wireless access to applications and data, media and streams. This is translated to the language of physicists, engineers, technicians and IT users as follows:

enable access to information easily
ensure compatibility and coexistence
get rid of cabling and wiring
get rid of switches, adapters, plugs and connectors.

The evolution has only just begun.

"The evolution has only just begun???!!" I'm in big trouble now! I don't understand what "it" is in the first place and now it's only just begun! How is one to even live in a world like this? What does this definition mean? I'm supposed to get along better with my neighbour if I get a WiFi and have better coexistence?? What what what???! There should be a requirement that definitions on wikipedia be written understandably.

I would wonder if I'm part of this "digital divide," but it isn't like I don't have access to technology. I just don't undertand what I have. I've studied my cell phone manual and I'm *supposed* to be able to "text" and do all kinds of strange things. I'm supposed to have a message system. But if you call me on my cell phone, you'd better hope I figure out how to answer it on time because I have a lot of messages I can't figure out how to check. Hopefully they weren't important.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! yay! yay! *does a happy little dance*
    I ask my daughter how to do computer things and then I write her instructions down..

    I couldn't 'hang up' my mobile (cell) phone the other day.. My son found that hilarious..

    hehehehe Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once when I was talking to my grandma, she suggested that I could possibly make some money by teaching old people how to "do the computer" or more accurately with her Boston accent; "do the computah".

    I think it is much worse for the generation above yours, they would be frightened and mystified by even your skill level.

    Technology is really stupid in some ways, it's like; what's the point? It makes all our lives "easier" but in reality ends up making them harder. Don't feel bad or old, who cares? By the way I am still in my 20's and I have a record collection and record player.

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...