15 March 2009

Me and My Little Brother

This pic was taken at my grandparents' house in Chappaqua, NY, around 1978. They had a bit over an acre of land and a little stream. In the spring, forget-me-nots would grow near the banks and tiny fishes and bugs would swim about. They had pear and apple trees as well, but I remember no edible fruit from these, ever. One of the best things about the place was that the backyard had trees that were suitable for climbing. We moved a LOT when I was a child. This is the closest I ever came to having a settled family home. My parents and aunts and uncles were known in the town as well, which was a good thing/ bad thing later on when my parents moved to the area and I was expected to go to school there. Thankfully, I was the oldest of the bunch. My poor younger cousins got the, "Ohhhh, I know your cousin" treatment when they went on to middle and high school. Ha-ha. :]

10 comments:

  1. Aaahhh, I love this story. I love seeing pictures from the past and hearing the story behind it. What a way to keep the memories for you and your family by journaling as you did here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you havn't changed much, still very cute ! Some of your boys look a lot like your brother too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% with you sis. I love that place and all the memories with it, with us moving around alot it was the one constant that was always there. yup there were fruit to eat but no one ate it, the trees were great for climbing!. And for your reputation, NO ONE messed with me in school. Thank you. Love Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a great place to be a kid. If you ever take a trip back into the past take us along, huh? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the coat. I had one just like it!

    What a neat place to always come home to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo! You both look so cute with your 1970s coats. I always wanted a little brother -- my three sisters and one brother are 10-15 years older than me. For some reason all of my close girlfriends growing up were the oldest child with one younger brother, and I was always a little envious. I guess I just got to have sons instead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kathy! I wasn't sure if anyone would read it.

    LOL Chris, I will have to email my brother for a current pic. He's shaved bald with big tattoos LOL, not the chubby-faced baby in the photo anymore.

    Jim, your big sis loves you very much. I didn't manhandle any little kids to make things safe for you at this place, though. Bummer that the one time we got to go to school together that bully Brad ruined it for ya. :[

    Thanks, Allison!

    Ganeida, I will have to find more photos and then I'll bring you along, promise.

    Zimms, the only thing I hated about coats like these were the statics you get from them in your hair.

    Sue, that's funny, because most of my friends were onlies or had older sibs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this photo, and the story behind it. You guys look blissfully happy. I would love to hear more about your childhood (hint, hint).

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...