16 October 2010

I Could Have Homeschooled Him!

... is the lament from a grieving mother whose child was bullied at school.   Oh, my goodness.

I'm so sorry to see stories like this in the news.  YES, it's true that when I read these stories sometimes, I wonder, "WHY didn't these parents just homeschool?"  I do.  I admit it.  Particularly when I read the parents doing this, that, documenting, calling this person and that, blah blah blah, etc.  There is no way these people have a full-time job and still have time for all that.  Wouldn't it just be easier to pull your child and give her a break (emotionally) for the rest of the year?  Try again later?  Yes, the bullies will "win" this way, I guess... but in my estimation, it would be just a different kind of win than they're already experiencing.

So why don't these parents homeschool?  It just gave me a sense of horror, seeing this mom go through the "what-ifs."  I wish I could hug this poor Momma and tell her that ALL parents second-guess themselves no matter what.  What if she homeschooled and her child fell behind academically?  What if this parent taught her child to kick butt and take names later?  What if they moved and started over in another school?  "What if" a lot of things.  We just don't know.  I'm so, so sorry, but we just don't know.

Wow.  Watch the attached videos or the 20/20 episode.  These parents WISH they could have another chance to pull their kids out of schools that were hell for their children, but as one parent noted, the text messages and threats can come to the house at 3 a.m., beatings can happen on a Saturday... and you have to deal with the same kids on Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness--so, so sad. This is a BIG reason about why I want to homeschool. I just think that nothing about bullying or teasing at school "prepares" children for the world. What adult experiences this and doesn't report it to their boss as harassment or calls the police? It just doesn't happen. I don't want to wake-up one day and wish I had homeschooled because my children have been hurt. So sorry for these people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullies come in all forms, trust me, 9th grade was my worst, this punk in P.E. always harrassed me (and part of 10th grade) but learned to brush it off and move on. its 45 (or so) minutes, 5 times a week. Besides, i'm not strong or good at 'comebacks' so i couldn't do anything. The way i see it, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. And thought im not stronger physically, i know i'll be smarter then that kid, have a good job, and get a good life. I feel sorry for that kid, because most bullies have a crappy home life. So you have to learn to forgive and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel bad for all the kids who get harrassed at school!

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...