23 April 2011

Reason #856 to Homeschool: Changed Outlook

Maybe I'm blogging this prematurely, but Elf will be going to public school part-time starting Wednesday. And I'm feeling pretty good about it.

But I do find that having homeschooled, I am changed. I know that at any time, all I have to do is send in a form that I'll be homeschooling Elf thankyouuuu, and I will never have to send him back. My husband was reluctant to allow Elf to homeschool, but he now understands that though there ARE some drawbacks to homeschooling for our family, there are some very big positives as well. And we've had the opportunity to enjoy those for 4 1/2 years.

I know that public school teachers can be wonderful and helpful and kind, and there are classes Elf will be taking that I don't have the time or patience for at home. But I know now that I don't NEED them. I would, at this point, LIKE for them to be a part of Elf's life. Everyone at the new elementary (I demanded a different one than the closet-locking one, you betya) seems so kind and concerned that Elf have a smooth transition. I can't tell you how many phone calls and caring questions I've had about how best to acclimate him.

I think that going to school part-time will be very good for him. But I also think it is very good for ME as a parent to know that I'm not just stuck with whatever I get. I'm actually very impressed with the staff at "Oak Tree Elementary" and the very second I'm not? He doesn't have to stay. I decide how long I'm going to try to work it out and what my next step will be.

I don't know how to put it, but just that knowledge changes you. It changes school from being a prison to a place we'd like to go to learn and see friends. He doesn't have to go. And that makes all the difference.

9 comments:

  1. I am glad you found your voice and your power in this situation.

    Best wishes that this is a wonderful new step for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope for the best for Elf. It's going to be hard on all of you for a while. Tie a rope and hang on...good thoughts, good thoughts,kindness, kindness, kindness. It means so much more when your child is handicapped in one way or another.

    You know, you are asking for a miracle. We had one, one year. The year I could breathe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freedom of choice is a marvellous concept and applying it takes strength, courage and belief in yourself.
    So excited for you and Elf and I hope it turns out to be a wonderful adventure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope he's happy and does well there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. let's hear it for choice and options
    I hope it all works out and that everyone is happy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope he loves it... and Emperor does not miss him too much.
    HAPPY EASTER Mrs C and all the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having choices is empowering ~ & that is the greatest gift of homeschooling. It opens up so many more choices & opportunities. All the best as you transition! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely. My dad has said that the change for him was realizing that he was the "client" of the school and so they needed to take care of him and his kids. Homeschooling can absolutely changes our perspective on education and help us discover just how much influence we have in this area of our child's life.

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is good news. I'm so happy that you are feeling a bit better about the whole process. We'll be praying for a smooth and happy transition.

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...