14 May 2022

The Robinson Family Photos

My great-grandmother Ruth Ida Robinson (1889-1970) is tending a cow on her farm in Weedsport, Cayuga County, New York. Here are a few pictures from her photo album.



Here's her son! I knew him as Granddaddy, but his name was Ross Robinson Monroe.  He was born in Cayuga County but grew up in Toronto, Canada. 


This is Ruth's brother/ Granddaddy's uncle, George Gates Robinson. During this time, it was almost mandatory to give the oldest son the mother's maiden name as a middle name.
.

What a fun bunch of people! I would not have ever thought any Robinsons to have been informal, having met some of the older folks myself, but the album had a few surprises...


A picnic!

 
When going out on the town, hats and gloves are a must!


Granddaddy with his aunt Jo and dog, Sport.


Granddaddy again in the same outfit riding a horse.  He may actually be quite young in the photos because he was just under 6ft 5 as an adult.

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful photos! I would think having a maiden name as a middle name might make it easier to track through ancestry records and find family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, River, and thanks! Since all children aren't firstborn sons that only gets ya so far tho. And if your maiden name is Smith or something like that, it won't help too much. Upstate New York was terrible for record collection before 1900.

      I'm noticing Ancestry is starting to collect more Australian and Scottish records and the like but it is still mostly US- based stuff. I would have no clue where to go to look for records if I were Australian. Oh wait... maybe I would, it's just that I don't now for obvious reasons. :)

      Delete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...