06 June 2015

"Haunting" Chalkboard Drawings Uncovered in Oklahoma

Incredibly detailed pictures were uncovered during a school renovation in Oklahoma.  You've never seen anything like this.  Click the link for more...

Ok.  I wandered over expecting some sort of prehistoric bison or... Aztec-type accounting systems or some other oddity.  But no.  School officials are hoping to preserve for all time...

Cursive writing.  And a few crude sketches of Pilgrims.  I know, I know, it's kind of anti-clamatic. 

I wonder how much the school district is going to pay to preserve a few chalkboards from 1917, when they could take just a little bit of time away from test prep and teach children to write in cursive today.

2 comments:

  1. Preserve the chalkboards? Just photograph them (*~*)
    I suppose they could cover the writing somehow so it doesn't get destroyed, then hang them in a gallery somewhere. I agree that children should be taught writing, as we were, if not, the art may be lost in as little as two generations of keyboard typing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is nuts. It's a chalkboard with writing. It isn't even an important document.

      This is the problem with living in a newer country without lotsa castles and old relics n stuff like European places. We think stuff that's over 50 years old is ancient or something.

      Delete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...