16 July 2007

Thrift Store Prices

Every now and then I can snag a really great bargain at a thrift store. More often than not, though, I wade through tons of damaged clothing that is stained, torn or hopelessly out of date, and leave with nothing. Today I went to a local thrift store to find that they remodeled and passed the prices on to the consumer.

Now, these are all DONATED clothes from the community, so every dollar they earn goes right to their ministry. They have volunteers too, so no overhead but rent and utilities. Actually I think they get rent free from some business and they get a tax deduction. No matter.

I know that some of the jeans I saw at the thrift store retail for $50. But should I pay $8 for a pair of USED jeans? I can't afford $50 per pair of jeans for my children, but I'd be tempted to go ahead and buy a pair or two for each OLDER child every year, and be sure of fit and a style they like, than $16 on something they are so-so sorta happy with and just tolerate.

Another peeve... everyone who donates to the thrift stores seems to have GIRLS. Boy clothes, especially in bigger sizes, are near impossible to find in good condition. Bummer.

3 comments:

  1. What size are you looking for in boys clothes????

    My thrift shop has changed too. They couldn't afford their light bill or heat so they had to raise prices a little bit. It's still not too bad though. If there comes a time when I can't afford it, I will go to the priest and get a waiver to shop there. That might be sooner than later. Remember I have a boy and he has a lot of clothes. So if you need clothes let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're looking for MENs' clothes now LOL. I just measured Patrick and he is taller than me now, which makes *no* sense. He was measured just last September four inches shorter. No way he would DARE to grow four inches in a year. And that throwing his voice to sound weird, and sticking his Adam's apple out, has got to stop. How does he do that?

    I *thought* your guy was younger than mine. Looking at the pics he is either younger or shorter than 5 ft 10. It is true though that the middle boys' stuff is a bit ratty though. They're in sizes 7 for the tiny elf and **12** for the 5-year-old (I know; that's hugely tall). Poor baby J will look like he's been left by the roadside by the time he inherits these clothes LOL!

    I will look round about in August or so at who fits what and let you know if I need MEN's clothes and size 12 or 13 shoes LOL!

    Sigh.

    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!

    Bubba's only in a 10 in boys right now. He's only 7. BUUUT I have a husband who is 6'2 and wears a size 13/14 shoe. I might have something come August/September. Or if you are having a hard time finding shoes, I can look at the slavage shop. It is an awesome store that sells new items from stores who are going out of business or have had fires or floods etc. So they usually have high sizes in name brand shoes. I just got Bubba a pair of size 3 Magic Johnson sneakers for $6.00. YES!! $6.00.

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...