14 November 2007

Does This Make Any Sense??!

http://www.krqe.com/Global/story.asp?S=7349865&nav=menu588_2

Poor, helpless college "girls" need federal money for their birth control so badly... it isn't fair!! (pout)

"So they don't have to make a choice between their birth control and their cell phone bill or their birth control and their gym membership and their birth control," Ortiz said. "These are choices women that women shouldn't have to make."

Um... Is THIS what being "pro-choice" is all about?? It's about *you* choosing to take *my* money to fund a "choice" I personally find immoral? Wow.

I can disagree with these people about what's moral, but I thought that the "right to decide" was all about, you know, having the right to decide. I *thought* that the liberated woman wanted to make her own choices and maybe even be treated as an adult in her own right. When big Papa government is paying for her lifestyle, I'd view her as ... um... not fully adult for some reason?? Sort of like a little girl on Daddy's allowance?

Can I just say this is one thing that makes me barf-o sick about "today's feminists" as a group? I could actually RESPECT a woman who wants to make her living by doing the same job as a man for the same pay. Or a woman who wants no-one to make laws that would curtail her rights to join the military or wear a buzz cut.

Do I agree with all of that? No. But I can respect that sort of thinking when it's consistent.

Just don't expect me to "respect" that poor little Miffy gets the gym membership, the cell phone, the boyfriend paying for the dates AND all the premarital sex she wants because she gets a stipend from the federal government. Not gonna happen. And I'm not understanding where the argument that more birth control means fewer abortions comes in. I thought the sex itself led to pregnancy - silly, silly me, somehow thinking that that produced my five and a half children! - and that people could choose to have sex or not. Is it not remotely possible that these young "ladies" are not bitches in heat who absolutely need the sex right then? Crude of me... but I'm pretty sure that college-age women can do some basic math, and decide whether the gym membership or the sex is more important that month.

I'd go for the cell phone personally. It can do more things than a college-age man can, just not the *same* things. It has an "off" button too.

2 comments:

  1. This is really good. Thank you for sharing. I always love your thoughts on things. You always say it better! You would make a good columnist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;] Thanks, Virginia! The one adult job I had (for three whopping months... whee!) was as a reporter on a daily newspaper. Now I get to write about whatever I want! No one can stop me!

    Bwa ha ha haaaa...

    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...