16 November 2007

It's Been On My Mind.

I've been thinking this for a while now.

Over at Virginia's blog (http://amazingsix.blogspot.com/ ), she's been talking a bit about those mixed homeschooling/ being away from the children so much feelings. I have the same sort of feelings with my older children. I know that G frankly has his days where he WILL be disruptive and the environment makes little difference. In fact, it might *help* to have his friends around because who wants to have his friends watch while he gets in trouble for silly things?? So bringing him home would really be difficult for the family. He does get some "special services" at the school, too. Yet other times I wonder how well we are equipping him for life in terms of his walk with God. We're doing the best we can... but I wonder how to get God's healing and light into our family because there is a lot going on. It's prayer, but it's more than a prayer. Something spiritual needs to start happening here. Right now dh says the kid is going to public school so I suppose the whole argument is hypothetical for the time being anyway. But I am in prayer about it. G is having some trouble and could use your prayers as well.

Strangely, I also have those mixed feelings about homeschooling the children I have at home. I *really* want them to be able to function in the "real world" someday, and I spend a fair bit of time teaching behaviour and correcting, and teaching and correcting and blah blah blah. If they were in public school -- and we have tried it with both of these boys -- I can tell you from personal experience that they would be in trouble constantly. Suspended for dopey things. Not controlling their behaviour, or thinking about what they do before they do it. Elf flipping out because there are too many things going on and he feels out of control. And the public school locking him in a closet constantly. (It's called a "safe room," and of course it can't be abuse when *they* do stuff like that... just let a parent try that one though!!)

So I'm certain that it's best for these boys to be home with me. Yet I remember my high school days, where "DR." P would teach us basic science and we would have the best equipment and a large campus to roam. The English curriculum was such that I read some of the same books in college I did in my sophomore year. In short, the teachers were *smart* and the children were *smarter* than I ever will be. There is no way I will be able to compete teaching-wise academically with the high school environment I had.

I need to get over that. First off, because I'm teaching these boys the word of God and that's something that will count for eternity. Second, because as great as that high school was academically, the school district we live in now isn't as good!! It has some specialized curriculum that Patrick is a part of, but for the most part the average student would, I believe, have a crappier education than I could provide if I had $500 a year to work with.

So there.

Now I just need to remember this when I wonder what on earth we accomplished in the course of a day. Bless you all for reading LOL!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for your encouragement on my blog! Yes, my husband and I agree on just about everything so thank goodness. It sure helps. Also, my son has Asperger's Syndrome so he really struggles in school. Gets in trouble constantly. The latest instance is when he just got beat down by 3 boys. He gets picked on every single day and now he hates going to school. He's really sad about it. He's smaller than most boys his age also. Plus he's a year behind and still not reading. I think it will be best for me to bring him on home now and help him out. It's difficult when you have a child that requires so much more attention. I know what you mean about that. Even having little toddlers in the mix too with trying to teach the older ones. Thank you for your encouragement. I so much appreciate it more than you'll ever know. We do think a lot alike and I always love your comments on articles! LOL! You always speak my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you and this situation. Sounds like a struggle to be in. I know that with Gods grace and help we can all accomplish anything in His name. It is very hard to be home taking care of the little ones and like you said constantly teaching them right from wrong and then having to worry about their education at the same time but it is what we are called to do for God. These are His children we are raising and I dont think the public school cares. I know this is a touch subject to alot(even christians)because most of the children are in public schools but I personally believe that if this world keeps sending the kids to Ceasar(Government schools), they are going to keep coming home like Romans. And if you look at this world and what it has become and is. I like to think of it like, if Jesus were standing beside me in person, would I be sending His son or daughter to this place every day where he/she is being tormented,dumbed-down, seeing lots of things they shouldn't be seeing and learning lots they shouldn't be learning? You are doing a gread job homeschooling. I loved reading about all of the stuff you did with the kids and what you are learning. You are on top of it! Keep up the good work. You are not only working for you. You are doing a job for God as well. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...