09 October 2021

Kittinger Buffalo Spanish Renaissance Table Makeover!

Isn't it gorgeous?? It's even better than the picture.  So soft, so pretty... and there are nuances in the stain and the woodgrain you don't see here.  It's a good sturdy size too.

A detail to show you how intricate it is.

But when I got it?  I paid $20 and felt I might be overspending a bit, but I was inspired by this YouTube channel to go ahead and give refinishing a go.  Someone decided they were going to make this their arts and crafts project and went absolutely nuts with the paint.  That's not brown stain... that's PAINT.  And it's painted over with garish red and silver and...

Some crazy Christmas pointsettia design.  Nope, nope nope nope.  

I used Citristrip and some Saran wrap.  After it settled in a bit, I'd wipe off the paint with cloth I never would use again, wipe again with mineral spirits, use a bit of 0000 steel wool and some more Citristrip... repeat repeat repeat.

Lots of work and bunches of sanding later, the walnut table looks like this.

The final thing to do before wiping the table down and applying an "espresso" stain is to get tiny bits of sanding paper and a seam ripper and really get in those grooves to remove junk and clean the table up.  I'm very happy with the result, although it was a LOT more work than I thought it would be.  If you want a pretty much identical table of your own, they're actually for sale here with the original stain.

 

2 comments:

  1. I clicked on the link. My gosh those tables are expensive! You got yourself a real bargain even after adding in the cost of cleaning and refinishing. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, River! Elf admired it so much I had to tell him it's his! I think he will enjoy it for many years.

      Delete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...