04 December 2021

Only in Kansas


 

Dear Family Genealogists, 

As you know, the only way to do things properly is to do them yourself.  What makes the state of Kansas unique is that it allows you to order your own death certificate a bit early.  This way, you can walk to the courthouse yourself and file probate and save your oldest boy the trouble.

This is SERIOUSLY NOT A SNARK POST.  This is REALLY a real and true copy of part of the application for a copy of a Kansas death certificate. It is absolutely unaltered except for the oval I put around "self". What I will clarify, however, is that if the dates you put down on your application don't exactly match what the state has on file, the bureaucrats get to pocket the money and give you a slip of paper that says "no record" and laugh at you.

I sort of like the idea walking into probate court early and cashing out toward the end of things though. 

4 comments:

  1. Early death certifcate? I've never heard of that. I'm not worried about leaving money for my children. I don't have any and when I get really old and think I don't have long to go I'll just empty my bank account and give it to the kids before I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what's really happening is that the bureaucrats in the state use the same form for birth certificates except they use the word "Death" at the top instead of "birth". It's otherwise pretty identical in terms of the rules of who they'll give it out to and price. But it would be so interesting if the state actually opened that sort of death tourism, where one could declare oneself dead and get a new identity for a price. Could they do that?? Hmmm...

      Delete
  2. MERRY CHRISTMAS Christine! I hope you have a really lovely Christmas with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very ecstatic when I am reading this blog post because it is written in good manner and the writing topic for the blog is excellent. Thanks for sharing valuable information. Homeschool programs Ketchikan

    ReplyDelete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...